Discover Ulster Scots Centre
- Auf der Karte anzeigen
Get a whole different story at the Discover Ulster-Scots Centre, in Belfast’s Cathedral Quarter.
13 miles of water, centuries of connections. Discover yours.
Get a whole different story at the Discover Ulster-Scots Centre, in Belfast’s Cathedral Quarter. A spacious exhibition gallery, open Monday to Friday from 10:00 - -16:00, it’s packed with stories that you’ll not be able to find in most other museums. And entry is free of charge.
Even though Ulster and Scotland are just 13 miles apart, the story of the close connections can be hard to find in most museums. Here at the Discover Ulster-Scots Centre you can discover thousands of years of history, from the formation of the Giant’s Causeway (which links County Antrim with the Western Isles of Scotland) right up to the present day.
• The exhibition panels cover ten major stories, starting with the arrival of Edward Bruce in 1315
• The timeline room shows how events in Ulster link with Scotland and the rest of the world
• The language and literature area gives examples of Ulster-Scots publishing, as well as words most people use every day
• A large journey planner map highlights other Ulster-Scots places to visit
• Audio-visual terminals allow you to watch films and search databases
• Dsplay cases feature rare artefacts and publications
• Free literature available, much of which isn’t available elsewhere
• Gift shop offering books, CDs and tartanwares
The Centre is located within the historic Belfast Corn Exchange building which dates from 1852. In 1859 the Corn Exchange hosted a major Robert Burns centenary event which was attended by Burns’ descendants who lived in the city.
The Discover Ulster-Scots Centre also hosts a range of events during the year, so keep an eye on our events programme to see what’s on next.
So why not drop in next time you’re in Cathedral Quarter? Our friendly and knowledgable staff will answer any questions you have and will give you advice on other places to visit.