St Stephen's Green
- View as map
St. Stephens Green, Dublin City Centre, Dublin, Republic of Ireland
St Stephen's Green in Dublin City is probably Ireland's best known Victorian public park, with tree lined walks, shrubberies, colourful flowerbeds, herbaceous borders, rockeries, and ornamental lake and a garden for the visually impaired.
Ireland's best known Victorian public park, St Stephen's Green was re-opened by Lord Ardilaun in 1880 for the citizens of Dublin. This nine hectare/22 acre park, in Dublin City Centre, has been maintained in the original Victorian layout with extensive perimeter tree and shrub planting, and spectacular spring and summer Victorian bedding. The herbaceous border also provides colour from early spring to late autumn. Sanctuary from inclement weather can be obtained in the Victorian lakeside shelter or in the Victorian Swiss shelters in the center of the park.
Over 3.5km of pathways are accessible for all users. The waterfall and Pulham rock work on the western side of the green are worth of a visit likewise the ornamental lake which provides a home for waterfowl and a garden for the visually impaired. A number of sculptures are located throughout the green. A children's playground is a popular attraction of the park. Lunchtime concerts are performed during the summer months.