- Veja como um mapa
Detalhes de contato
Standing in the foothills of the Sperrins, 594 feet above sea level, Pomeroy is the highest village inNorthern Ireland. At the end of the 17th century however there was no village in this area, just an extensive forest. In 1729 the land was inherited by James Lowry on the death of this father.
In 1750 Rev James Lowry was granted the right to hold a weekly market in Pomeroy and an important Hiring Fair. Previously the large forest had been stripped of timber but in the 1770s Rev Lowry replanted approximately 556 acres and bequeathed money to erect the mansion, Pomeroy House. Much of the woodland is gone and the Georgian mansion demolished. All that remains is their burial vault on the Tanderagee Road. This was once approached by the longest avenue of Chilean Pine trees in Ireland.