- View as map
Craigavon Museum Services
Lough Neagh Discovery Centre
Oxford Island, Lurgan, County Armagh,
Mrs Elaine McEnarney
T: (028) 3831 1669
18th Century lock-keeper's house and stables on the Newry Canal with a blacksmith workshop.
Restored 18th Century lock-keeper's house, stables and bothy located on the Newry Canal. The stables contain a 'Life on the Canal' exhibition, which explores the history of the Newry Canal; the oldest summit level canal in the British Isles. Part of the lock-keeper's house, containing a typical early 1900s interior, is also open to the public (please note that the rest of the house is a private residence.
The stables and bothy are also home to the Moneypenny's Blacksmith Workshop, which provides metalworking classes to the public. Their basic aim is to celebrate the ancient craft of blacksmithing and place it alongside modern metal fabrication techniques in a creative and inclusive way. To book a class contact email@example.com.
Moneypenny's Lock is situated in a tranquil area that is home to a wonderful variety of plant and wildlife. The elusive kingfisher that makes its home along the Canal attracts birdwatchers from far and wide.
Moneypenny's lock can be reached via the Newry Canal pathway consisting of a two-mile walk along the towpath from Shillington's Quay car park in Castle Street, Portadown. Alternatively cars can be parked at Knock Bridge on the Mullahead Road, where Monepenny's can be reached via a 10 minute walk along the towpath. To access the towpath from Knock Bridge follow the signs for Moneypenny's Lockhouse.
Picnic tables available.
Wheelchair access limited.