- View as map
Located about halfway between Portaferry and Newtownards on the lough shore, Kircubbin is a relatively new village dating back to the middle of the last century. It is an important commercial and service centre, with an attractive little harbour. Just outside the village is the tiny church of Innishargie, the mother church of Mid-Ards and the most interesting unrestored building in the area. Its ties go back to the early church in Ireland, with a clear link to the Order of St Benedict in AD 1200. A 13th century gravestone from Innishargie, known locally as the Black Abbey, is preserved at nearby Greyabbey.