Guinness Cork Jazz Festival
Oct 24 2019 - Oct 28 2019
- View as map
MacCurtain Street, Cork City, Cork,
T: +353 21 4643700
The 42nd Guinness Cork Jazz Festival will see every nook and cranny of Cork City come alive throughout the October bank holiday weekend to the sounds of over 1,000 musicians and creative artists from more than 20 countries.
This year’s festival will host a fantastic array of top international headline jazz acts. There’s also a great line up at the Metropole Festival Club, and an exciting fringe programme of free gigs and entertainment in over 70 city venues across the city.
This year the festival is also looking forward to the Blaze of Jazz Parade, which will kick off the weekend on Friday 24th in spectacular ‘flare’. This family-friendly parade will feature a mix of red-hot jazz bands with fiery Cork characters in a dramatic musical march full of flaming antics.
Other highlights include the Jazz Jamboree, Jazz Food Fair, and The Artistry of Frank Sinatra audio-visual event with more to be announced soon!
You could spend your time wandering from venue to venue, taking in free on-street sessions, but booking tickets is recommended to at least one must-see acts before it’s too late.
1. British soul queen and platinum selling artist Mica Paris singing Ella Fitzgerald. Friday October 25th, The Everyman, 8pm
2. Booka Brass Band, Ireland's first New Orleans style brass band.
Friday October 26th, Cork Opera House, 11.30pm
3. Prize winning saxophonist and composer Paul Booth followed by Tudo Bem’s celebration of the Music of Brazil at the much-loved Jazz at the Green Room sessions at Cork Opera House. Friday 25 October 2019, 10pm and midnight
4. Big Brass Band Explosion – Three amazing brass bands - The OhnO! Jazzband, Hyde Park Brass, and Les FanFlures - will play back to back in a gig guaranteed to knock your socks off. Saturday October 26th, The Everyman, 2pm
5. 14-time Grammy nominee Kurt Elling – named stand out male vocalist of our time by the New York Times - will pay tribute to jazz legends like Louis Armstrong, Nat “King” Cole, Jon Hendricks, Nancy Wilson and Shirley Horn in his ‘A Century of Heroes’ show. Saturday October 26th, Cork City Hall, 8pm.
6. American Jazz fusion band Spyro Gyra whose 30 albums have sold over 10 million copies over four decades. Saturday October 26th, The Everyman 8pm
7. Renowned ECM artist John Surman, who is known for expanding the horizons of jazz, will present a special concert with pianist Vigleik Storaas. Saturday October 26th, Triskel Christchurch, 8pm.
8. Ariellle Besson, Sebastian Sternal & Jonas Bergwinkel Trio – Leading the new wave of young European improvising trumpeters, Airelle Besson will perform with pianist Sebastian Sternal, and drummer Jonas Burgwinkel.
Sunday October 27th, Triskel Arts Centre, 2.30pm
9. Northern Ireland’s famous jazz trumpeter Dr. Linley Hamilton and his quintet will play a double-bill with 14-time Grammy nominee and 2018 Jazz Pianist of the Year, Fred Hersh, who is flying in from the US with his jazz Trio. Sunday October 27th, The Everyman, 7pm
10. Motown diva and Grammy Hall of Famer, Martha Reeves and The Vandellas, who is listed among Rolling Stone magazine’s “100 Immortal Artists”. Sunday October 27th, Cork City Hall, 8pm