Historic houses and castles

27 of 478

Saint Eugenes Cathedral (Heritage Trail)

View as map

Contact details

Address

Creggan Street, Londonderry, Londonderry,
T: (028) 7126 2894
F: (028) 7137 7494
E: steugenes@btconnect.com

Saint Eugenes Cathedral was completed in 1903 and is one of the citys most impressive ...

The foundation stone was laid in 1851 just after the Famine in Ireland. Designed by James Mc Carthy, it was not completed until 1873. The spire was added in 1903 and is 79 metres in height- the second highest spire in Ireland. The building is of local whin-stone with buttresses and the spire is of Newry granite. The church has many stained glass windows by Meyer of Munich. In the 1980s the Cathedral was extensively renovated and a new sacristy and conference centre added.