Mount Usher Gardens
- View as map
Mount Usher is among Ireland's most loved gardens laid out along the banks of the Vartry River in Ashford, County Wicklow. They measure 22 acres and contain approximately 5,000 different species of plants and trees.
The gardens were first planted in 1868 in the Robinsonian style, after the Irish garden designer William Robinson, who emphasised informal planting in harmony with the natural setting of the garden. Mount Usher is laid out across 22 acres along the banks of the River Vartry as it tumbles over a series of cascades on its way to the sea.
Mount Usher Gardens contains many different species of plants and trees including many rhododendrons, magnolias, camellias, eucryphia and shrubs. Water forms an essential part of the scenery with cascades and suspension bridge visible from many sections.
In addition to the Gardens, Mount Usher offers a comprehensive home produced menu in the Avoca Garden Café, as well as a Shopping Courtyard which opens all year round. There is ample car parking and the Gardens are within easy reach of Dublin.
The history of Mount Usher Gardens: they were created by four generations of the Walpole family over a period of 112 years from 1868 and preserved until being taken over by Avoca in 2007.