- View as map
Downpatrick Road, Strangford, Co Down,
Miss Jacqueline Baird
T: (028) 4488 1204
Wooded walks, adventure centre & horse trails are just a glimpse of what is on offer at Castle Ward.
Castle Ward is full of personality. Situated in a stunning location overlooking Strangford Lough, the lawns rise up to the unique 18th century house and its Gothic façade. This fascinating house features both Gothic and Classical styles of architectural treatment, internally and externally.
Inside the beautiful 820 acre walled demesne you will find an exotic sunken garden and paths that wind their way through woodland and suddenly open onto the quiet shores of the Lough.
Commended, Visitor Attraction of the Year at the Northern Ireland Tourism Awards 2007.
• Fascinating home of the Ward family since the 16th century
• One of the most complete demesne landscapes to survive in Ireland
• Victorian laundry, cornmill and sawmill illustrate how the demesne worked
• Woodland, lakeside and parkland walks with stunning viewpoints
• Impressive Yew tree terraces and stunning Temple Water
• Dress up and play with period toys in the Victorian Past Times centre
• Children’s adventure play area
• Visit the horses, pigs and hens in the farmyard
• Strangford Lough Wildlife Centre
• Clearsky Adventure Centre and horse trails
• Browse the enticing gift shop and rummage around the second hand book shop
• Caravan site and Potter’s Holiday Cottage
Visitor facilities –
Historic house: Mill: Industrial heritage: Farm Yard: Garden: Park: Countryside: Coast: Nature Reserve: Shop: Refreshments: Guided tours: Suitable for picnics: Country walk: Programme of events: Access for visitors with disability: Facilities for families: Learning: Dogs welcome on leads in grounds/garden only: Available for functions.
Check National Trust website for full opening times: