Chaine Memorial Tower
- View as map
The Tower stands on the western side of Larne Lough at the entrance to the harbour.
The Tower stands on the western side of Larne Lough at the entrance to the harbour and can be seen by visitors coming in by sea. it can safely be reached from the shore by a noarrow walkway.
The Tower is a replica of an Irish Round Tower built in 1887 to a design by a well-known local architect. The Tower stands 27m high and 7.5m wide at base. it is constructed with squared Annalong granite,
The Tower was built in memory of James Chaine who contributed much to the development of Larne Harbour.
Over the doorway is a tablet with the following inscription:
This Tower was erected and road leading to it made by the contribution of every class in this mixed community irrespective of creed or of party. All cordially united in esteem and affection for the memory of the late James Chaine of Ballycraigy and Cairncastle, Co Antrim who represented the County in the Imperial Parliament of Great Britain and ireland from February 1874 until May 1885, and who was founder of the sea route from Larne to the Scottish Mainland.
After a request from Mariners the tower was converted into a lighthouse by the Commissioners of Irish Lights in March 1899 and has stood like a sentinel over the Lough for well over a hundred years.
Larne Borough Council has taken over the ownership of the tower from 1 April from Irish Lights.
Currently viewing is external only, but the council hope to be in a position to open the building to the public on special occasions such as European Heritage Open Days.