Belfast Mela 2014
Aug 24 2014
- View as map
The Mela returns to Botanic Gardens on the 24th August 2014 from 12pm-6pm for the eighth year of ...
The Mela returns to Botanic Gardens on the 24th August 2014 from 12pm-6pm for the eighth year of world music, dance, food, fashion and fun!
The word Mela comes from the Sanskrit for 'meeting' or 'uniting'. Belfast Mela is not only celebrating world diversity but is taking its place as one of the province's hottest, fastest growing tourist attractions.
This year's event is jam packed with a show stopping line up featuring music, dance, food, fashion, street theatre, circus and carnival from across the globe, all presented in a high energy and vibrant day out.
Headlining the Mela's World Stage will be Malkit Singh with his live band. Hailed as the 'King of Bhangra,' Malkit Singh is one of the few Punjabi icons around in today's Bhangra industry.
They will be joined by an array of live world music and dance including Cuban beats from Son Yambu, rousing gospel music from Discovery Gospel Choir, energetic dhol drumming from Virtue Dholis and Bollywood beautifulness from Rafquat Ali Khan & The Bollywood Brass Band over three live stages. Click here to book tickets
There will also be special local showcases from the Ulster Youth Choir and Irish language group An Droichead.
Other highlights include:
• The Fantasy Forest, a brand new children's arts experience featuring a diverse programme of interactive nature-inspired creative arts workshops, delivered by visual artists, craftspeople, dancers, musicians and storytellers.
• Razor sharp theatre group Les Enfants Terribles will excite and entertain little ones with a mysterious, magical and magnificent nature spotting journey across the world, packed with Vaudeville acts, live musicians and puppeteers.
• Contemporary dance production Jugni (meaning 'Female Firefly') which portrays an illumination of personal stories through intricate play of movement, rhythm and rhyme contributed by women from all over the UK.
• Bangalore Dreams taking audiences on a journey across multiple musical genres with divine harmonies and dazzling rhythms.
• Asian fashion bazaar
• Street arts shows
• Health and well-being area
Time: 12noon - 6pmFor more information visit www.belfastmela.org.uk or telephone 028 90231 381