Founded in 1701, Marsh's Library was the first public library in Ireland. Located in Dublin City, the library was built by Archbishop Narcissus Marsh and contains 25,000 books as well as 300 manuscripts.
Marsh's Library, built in 1701 by Archbishop Narcissus Marsh (1638-1713) is the oldest public library in Ireland. It was designed by Sir William Robinson and is located at St Patrick's Close in Dublin City.
The library contains some 25,000 printed books relating to the 1500s, 1600s and early 1700s. Subjects include theology, medicine, law, science, travel, navigation, music, surveying, ancient history and classical literature. In addition, there are about 300 manuscripts in the collection.
The interior of the library remains unchanged since it was built more than 300 years ago and it is a magnificent example of a 17th-century scholar’s library.
Also contained in Marsh's Library is the Delmas Conservation Bindery, which restores and repairs rare books and manuscripts as well as prints, drawings, watercolours and maps, to the highest international standards.