See & Do

Newry Ship Canal

View as map

Contact details

Address

Omeath Road, Newry, Down,

Fish in historic surroundings along the British Isles' first ever ship canal. The Canal opened ...

Fish in historic surroundings along the British Isles' first ever ship canal. The Canal opened for traffic in 1742 and only ceased operation in 1976. Business may be dead but the waters are alive. The fishable section, which runs for 3.5 miles from Newryto sea locks on the Omeath Road, has become an excellent coarse venue and hosted the World Coarse Angling Championships.
The sun filled summer months spur on algae, which improves roach and bream catches; while the colder waters of the winter months bring large pike to the canal. Anglers can also snare eels, perch and trout.
All legal fishing methods can be used but fishing from boats is not permitted. A Foyle, Carlingford and Irish Lights Commission licence is required.