Áras an Chairdinéil Ó Fiaich Cardinal O'Fee Heritage Centre
- View as map
Slatequarry Road, Cullyhanna, Co Armagh,
T: (028) 3086 8757
Contains photographs and memorabilia relating to the late cardinal.
Tomás Ó Fiaich was born in Anamar, near Cullyhanna in November 1923. He was educated at Cregganduff Public Elementary School, St. Patrick's College, Armagh, St. Patrick's College, Maynooth and at St. Peter's College, Wexford. He was ordained in June 1948. After studying in University College Dublin, St. Anthony's College, Louvain and a short time as curate in the Parish of Clonfeacle, Tomás returned to St. Patrick's Maynooth College to lecture in modern history. He rose from lecturer to Professor in 1959, to Vice President and finally to President in 1974.
In August 1977, The was appointed Archbishop of Armagh. In June 1979 he was elevated to Cardinal and in the same year he welcomed Pope John Paul II, the first pope to visit Ireland.
He died on 8th May 1990, while leading a pilgrimage to Lourdes, France. He was buried in Armagh amid scenes of national grief for a man who all agreed had the common touch.
The centre, which was opened in June 1995, contains photographs and memorabilia relating to the late cardinal. You can also listen to songs and poems from South Armagh. There is also a Research library and archives for students and adults.