The Nally Heritage Centre Carrickmore
- View as map
Club Naomh Colm Cille
Carrickmore, Omagh, Co Tyrone,
T: 028 8076 1746
Based at Naomh Colm Cille GAA grounds in Carrickmore in mid-Tyrone, the centre encompasses aspects of social, economic, political, sporting and geographical history relating to the local area.
This is enhanced with artefacts, which span from historic times to the modern day. The exhibitions will be changed on a regular basis with opening exhibitions and themes being expanded to highlight in detail a particular aspectvor person from that era.
A PW McNally exhibition explores the sporting and political life of this key figure in the setting up of the Gaelic Athletic Association, from his early days in County Mayo to his death in Kilmainham Gaol in Dublin. This panel is particularly appropriate given that Club Naomh Colmcille is the custodian of the original Nally stand from Croke Park.
Wide reaching sporting achievements of generations of people from the parish of Termonmaguirc are celebrated in the next area. This exhibition rightly recognises the proud GAA tradition in field games, noting the contribution of national sporting icons across the generations such as Frank Donnelly and Conor Gormley
“Social Life of the People” examines the impact of churches, education and housing evolution on the lives of the people as early as the fifth century down to the next millennium. Schools and their teachers, marching bands, St. Colmcille and Dean Brian McGuirk certainly constitute an interesting mixture of activities in this display.
“Making a Living” examines the development of the transport infrastructure and the modern village from earliest times, paying tribute to the nineteenth century bridge builders and railwaymen who served the parish until the sad demise of the Great Northern Railway. Industry is traced from the Neolithic pottery makers through the domestic woollen industry to the currently dominant quarrying industry.
Farming is accorded a special panel to acknowledge its dominance for centuries in parish life and highlighting how the people built up the modern agricultural infrastructure, first under landlordism and later as landowners.
A display is dedicated to the lives of two earlier twentieth century Irish political giants who were natives of the parish. For half a century Joseph McGarrity and Dr Patrick McCartan each profoundly influenced Irish political events. Drawing on their rich written archives, which both men bequeathed to the National Library, the display ranges across their political activities and acquaintances. It also records Mc Garrity’s accomplishments as poetic commentator on his times. A centrepiece to this display, which echoes McGarrity’s experience as a son of a small tenant farmer, is his mother’s domestic spinning wheel, which, with other artefacts, is on loan from Villanova University, USA.
“Townlands of Termonmaguirk” is a visually striking display, which gives an overview of the geographical history of the parishand how it evolved to hold its current boundaries. Pictures and maps are explored to demonstrate how Townlands have changed and developed through the generations. The original parish was much bigger than the current one and this informativedisplay traces the change.
The range of material held in the centre is supported by audiovisual material, which can be accessed through state of the art technology. Some of the resources may be available for download and copying in line with copyright restrictions. Individuals may use touch screen technology to research their own topic of interest.
Additional information may be available on chosen areas and this can be requested.
Saturday and Sunday 12 noon until 5pm
The centre can be opened at other times to suit individuals, school groups or tours by phoning (028) 8076 1746 or by e-mailing email@example.com.
Please contact for enquiries and bookings.