St. Columb's Park
- View as map
This public park, on the Limavady Road, was formerly the estate of the Hill family. A large house in the grounds was called 'Chatham'. Its builder was a naval officer Lieutenant John Rea; his daughter had married Sir George Hill of 'Brookhall.' In 1845 the Hill Estate was bought by the then Londonderry Corporation for use as a public park.
The Hill house was used for a time as a Nurses' home and is now St. Columb's Park House Activity and Reconciliation Centre.
The ruins of a small church of St. Brecan's can be found in the grounds of the park. These ruins are from a church re-built on this site by Redmond O' Gallagher, Bishop of Derry in 1585. The original church was destroyed in 1197, by a Norman Knight, Rotsel Pitun.
A statue of the city's patron saint, who gave his name to the park, was unveiled in the park in 2013.
The sculpture of the saint, also known as Colmcille, stretches nine feet to the tip of his outstretched fingers and was created by artist Niall Bruton.