Historic houses and castles

229 of 447

Boom Hall (Heritage Trail)

View as map

Contact details


Culmore Road,
T: (028) 7126 7284
This large house,now a ruined state located on the Culmore Road overlooking the River Foyle, was built for the Alexander family in 1779, founders of the Bank of Ireland. Field Marshal Alexander of Tunis was one of the family, as was Bishop William Alexander, husband of Mrs Cecil Frances Alexander the famous hymn writer. The site overlooks the position of the Siege Boom built across the River Foyle in 1689.