- View as map
Mr Pyers and Marguerite Nash
Clonalis House is the ancestral home of the O' Connors of Connacht. The family are decesdants of the last High Kings of Ireland and they were the traditional Kings of Connacht.
The present day Clonalis dates back to 1878, but the expansive parkland which surrounds the house has been in the possession of the family for over 1500 years and regarded by many as a last remnant of the Kingdom of Connacht.
A late Victorian Italiante residence, Clonalis is widely regarded as one of the most historic of Ireland's great houses. The O'Conor family as Kings of Ireland and members of parliament for Roscommon, have played a pivotal role in Ireland's history, from the early warrior kings, founders of castles and abbeys to the present family, custodians of a vast array of heirlooms, artefacts and documents including the coronation stone of the Kings of Connacht and the harp of O'Carolan the Bard.
2017 Opening dates to be confirmed. It is advised to contact the property directly prior to making arrangements to visit.
Nearest railway station/bus stop
Castlerea Railway Station is 3 kilometres distant and buses stop in Castlerea Town, 2.5 kilometres away.