Historic houses and castles

356 of 467

The Four Courts

View as map

Contact details

Address

Inns Quay, Dublin City Area West, Dublin, Republic of Ireland
T: +353(0)18886000
E: padareward@thecourts.ie

Building work on this impressive Georgian building was begun in 1776 based on designs of architect Thomas Cooley. On the death of Cooley in 1784, work continued, to an enhanced design by the renowned architect James Gandon.

Building work on this impressive Georgian building was begun in 1776 based on designs of architect Thomas Cooley. On the death of Cooley in 1784, work continued, to an enhanced design by the renowned architect James Gandon. The foundation stone was laid by the Duke of Ruthland in 1786 and the building was completed in 1802 although the first court session took place in 1796. It has a fine central block with an arched courtyard and end pavilion on either side. The portico is supported by six Corinthian columns and high above stand the statues of Moses, Justice, Mercy, Authority and Wisdom with copper domed colonnaded rotunda behind.
Today the Four Court is the physical centre of legal life in Ireland. Sittings of the Supreme, High, Circuit and District