The present castle, wtih its largely intact bawn wall and corner towers, is a fine example of an Irish tower house.
This castle was the 16th century seat of the Barry family. The present castle, wtih its largely intact bawn wall and corner towers, is a fine example of an Irish tower house. Extensively restored and reinstated with fittings and furnishings, both the Main Hall and the Great Hall are now open to the public. The ground floor houses an exhibition entitled "The Arts in Ireland from the Invasion to the Plantation 1100-1600". The Orchard has been restored to an original 16th century design. In the castle courtyard, within the bawn, a 16th century herb garden has been reinstated.
Access to the Castle is via steps. Children must be accompanied by an adult at all times.
The Castle is managed by the OPW in conjunction with the Barryscourt Trust.