Tullynally Castle Gardens
- View as map
Tullynally is located in Castelpollard, County Westmeath and has been owned by the Pakenhams, later Earls of Longford, since the 17th Century. The original house was remodelled by the 2nd earl as a huge, gothic revival castle in the early 1800’s.
Tullynally Castle and Gardens is still a family home, now one of Irelands largest to survive private buyers. Its interior is part Georgian, part Gothic revival and there is a fine collection of furniture and pictures.
Terraced lawns around the castle overlook superb 18th Century parkland. The adjoining woodland gardens and walled gardens date largely from the same period and encompass a grotto of eroded limestone from nearby Lough Derravaragh and two ornamental lakes.
The present owners have added Chinese gardens and a local sculptor has made fantastic woodcarvings. The walled gardens have extensive flower borders and a avenue of giant 200 year old Irish yews. A woodland walk leads to the lower lake past plantings of giant lilies, camellias and rhododendrons.
Tullynally Castle and Gardens are open from April to September including Bank Holidays and Heritage Week.