- View as map
Lisnaskea, Co. Fermanagh,
Lisnaskea meaning ‘the fort of the shield’ was once the seat of the Maguire Clan.
The Maguires were crowned at the inauguration site, Skeagowra, on the Moat Fort in Cornashee townland, just outside the town.
Sir Michael Balfour took control of the town during the Plantation of Ulster. In 1618,
he oversaw the building of Castle Balfour. In 1821 the village came under the control of the Earls of Erne.
They established the market in the town whilst bolstering and controlling development around the high street.