Friar's Bush Cemetery
- View as map
Stranmillis Road, Belfast, Co Antrim,
T: 028 9027 0296
Friar’s Bush Graveyard is thought to be Belfast’s oldest Christian burial ground, possibly dating back to pre-Christian times. It also contains the mass grave of hundreds of victims of Belfast’s cholera epidemics.
Although burials no longer take place in the cemetery, it is a recognised historical site and open for viewing by appointment only. Entry into the graveyard is through an arched gothic gate lodge, built by the Marquis of Donegall in 1828.
Inserted into the ground near the entrance is a special plaque. It was presented by the Irish government in 1995 and recognises Friar’s Bush as Belfast’s 'official' famine site.
The Cemetery is managed by Belfast City Council.
Opening hours: By appointment only.