Churches and monasteries

St Michan's Church

View as map

Contact details

Address

Church Street, Dublin City, Dublin, Republic of Ireland
T: +353(0)18724154
E: stmichan@eircom.net

St Michan’s, which was founded in 1095, was the only church located on the north side of Dublin City until 1686. The present structure dates from 1685 and was renovated in 1825

St Michan’s, which was founded in 1095, was the only church located on the north side of Dublin City until 1686. The present structure dates from 1685 and was renovated in 1825. The interior, which has changed little since Victorian times, still has its original organ. Another notable artefact is the Penitant’s Desk, commissioned in 1724 and used for public confession.

Below the church are five long burial vaults containing the mummified remains of many of Dublin’s most influential families from 1600 to 1800. In the vaults, guests can view the death mask of Wolfe Tone and the coffins of the 1798 rebels John and Henry Sheares.