The name Rindoon (in Irish ‘rinn duin’) means a fortified headland. The Rindoon Peninsula in County Roscommon extends into Lough Ree approximately in the centre of Ireland. The strategic importance of the peninsula was recognised by the Anglo-Normans and a castle and garrison was established here in 1227. The castle was protected by a substantial town wall which defended the neck of the peninsula. Today, Rindoon is possibly the best preserved deserted Norman town in Ireland – with substantial remains of the castle and harbour, the town wall, a stone windmill, ecclesiastical sites, a church and graveyard. There is a Bee Bole (18th century beehive alcove) located behind St John’s House at the start of the walks. For those interested in habitat and birdlife the shoreline is home to many species of birds - including egrets, whimbrels, merlins, herons and ducks. Walkers should note that the overall site has returned to pasture is now a working livestock farm – cattle, sheep and a few inquisitive donkeys wander the peninsula with you!