Killruddery House Gardens
- Bekijk op kaart
Killruddery House and Gardens near Bray in County Wicklow has been home to the Brabazon family (the Earls of Meath) since 1618. The gardens are among the oldest in Ireland, providing the perfect destination for relaxing and leisurely walks.
Killruddery House and Gardens is conveniently located on the outskirts of the capital, where Dublin meets Wicklow. One of Ireland’s most renowned gardens, it’s filled with beautiful planting and wooded areas, water features and distinctive outdoor rooms.
The gardens at Killruddery are the oldest surviving examples of their original 17th century style, though there have been 18th and 19th century additions. A French landscape architect named Bonet, a pupil of André Le Nôtre, was known to have been employed by the Earl of Meath in 1682.
One of the most eye-catching elements of Killruddery House is the Orangery, designed and built by William Burns in 1852 and inspired by the style of the Crystal Palace, London. Legend has it that the family tiara was sold to finance this work and that the crenellations surrounding the dome were based on the design of this tiara.
On leisurely walks through the renowned gardens of Killruddery, visitors will see beautiful planting and wooded areas, water features and distinctive outdoor rooms. Refreshments are served in the tea rooms and guided tours of one of the house are available.
An annual programme of events at Killruddery House features everything from falconry and beekeeping, to outdoor concerts and children’s events. Visit Killruddery House and Gardens for the perfect family outing within easy reach of Dublin.