Queen's University Belfast
- View as map
The fine facade of the Main Building, designed by Charles Lanyon, conceals a quiet, restful ...
The fine facade of the Main Building, designed by Charles Lanyon, conceals a quiet, restful quadrangle. This was the original Queens College: the University has expanded throughout the immediate area, including all the houses on University Square, the imposing terrace to the left of the Lanyon Building. The visitors centre host exhibitions as well as selling University memorabilia.
Wheelchair access. Guided tours available.
At the Lanyon Building there is a Blue Plaque erected by the Ulster History Circle dedicated to Professor R.M. Henry 1873 - 1950. Born in Belfast, Henry was educated at Methodist College and QUB where he became Professor of Latin in 1907. As first Secretary to the Academic Council he played a key role in shaping the development of the University. He was the brother of the painter Paul Henry.
Another Blue Plaque can be found at the Old Library, dedicated to Poet Philip Larkin 1922-1985 who was sub-Librarian here from 1950-1955. Born in Coventry, Although he had two novels published in the 1940's Larkin acknowledged that his career as a poet started in Belfast., following his appointment as Sub-librarianat QUB. He privately publish XXPoems (1951) while living in Belfast.