Knappogue Castle was built in 1467 by Sean MacNamara, son of Sioda (who built Bunratty Castle) and has a long and varied history. Located just outside Quin Village, Knappogue Castle is just 15 miles from Shannon Airport.
Knappogue Castle was built in 1467 by Sean MacNamara, son of Sioda (who built Bunratty Castle) and it has a long and varied history.
In 1571 the castle became the seat of the MacNamara Clan, Earls of West Clancullen. In 1641 it was occupied by Oliver Cromwell's troops, but later returned to the MacNamara Clan who sold it to the Scots in 1800.
The castle has been host to two Irish presidents, as well as other heads of state, including General de Gaulle. A wonderful feature of the castle and its grounds, is the beautiful walled garden, dating from 1817 now restored to its former splendour.
The tall and imposing walls of the walled garden are resplendent with climbing roses, grapevines and many clematis varieties. In the magical setting of Knappogue Castle, this is a romantic oasis to sit and picnic or just escape the 'madding crowd'. The castle is available for hire as a wedding venue.