St Mary's Cathedral
- View as map
Limerick City's Cathedral of St Mary Blessed Virgin was founded in 1168 on the site of a palace donated by Donal Mor O’Brien, King of Munster. Experts believe parts of the palace are incorporated into the present structure.
The Cathedral of St Mary Blessed Virgin occupies a very historic plot in Limerick City. In 1168, Donal Mor O’Brien, King of Munster, donated his palace, parts of which are possibly incorporated into the present structure. Previously, a Viking meetinghouse had been located there.
The cathedral's architecture is a mixture of the Gothic and Romanesque styles. It contains many interesting features, such as a stone altar and Lepers’ Squint, an opening in the wall that permitted lepers to hear Mass and receive Communion.