99 of 346


View as map

Contact details


Newry Visitor Information Centre, Bagenal's Castle Castle Street, Newry, County Down,
Ms Adele Knox
T: (028) 3031 3170
Hilltown is built on the River Bann and is one of the closest settlements to the main peaks of the Mourne Mountains.

It was originally known as Eight Mile Bridge and was named Hilltown by the Marquis of Downshire, Lord Hill (also founder of Hillsborough) in 1765. In 1835 the village had a total of 21 houses of which 12 were pubs. The smuggling of brandy and spirits from the coast along ‘The Brandy Pad’ had become a local pastime and Hilltown was the favourite distribution point.