St Joseph's Redemptorist Church
- View as map
The Redemptorists arrived in Dundalk, County Louth in 1876, but it wasn’t until 1892 that the Church of St Joseph was constructed. The splendid structure was built from granite and its interior features coloured marble and intricate mosaics.
The town of Dundalk, County Louth is home to a community of Redemptorists, or missionary priests, who settled there in 1876 and established a hospice at a temporary site. Building on the present monastery began in 1879 and opened less than two years later, standing proud and beautiful in glinting granite hewn from Newry quarries and with a warm interior resplendent in coloured marbles and intricate mosaics
In the 1890s, the granite, Romanesque-style church of St Joseph was added, replacing a much smaller, temporary chapel. The house of worship, which continues to celebrate Mass daily.