- View as map
This restored 13th-century fortification was originally built by Meiler de Bermingham and is located within the heritage town of Athenry.
Richard de Burgo granted a charter to Meiler de Bermingham in 1235 and shortly afterwards, de Bermingham started building his castle at Athenry.
Probably completed by 1250, it consists of a three-story tower surrounded by the remains of a strong outer wall and is entered at first-floor level through an unusually decorated doorway.
Recently re-roofed, the interior now contains an audio-visual room and exhibition.
The castle is open to visitors from the end of March to the end of October.