Fastnet Trails - Becher's Loop Walk

Смотреть карту

Контактная информация


Lisheen, Skibbereen, West Cork, Cork,
Mr Eugene McSweeney
T: +353(0)2837640
Эл.п.: council@ballydehob.ie

Becher's Loop Walk - Fastnet Trails - 13km - long but easy walk. The Fastnet Trails Walks Group have developed over 10 walks in Ballydehob, Schull and Aughadown.

This walk starts at the head at Comghall’s Church at Lisheen, and follows quiet country tarred roads for 13km. Follow the purple arrows, passing Aughadown Creamery Shop, a co-op since 1945. Earlier, at a sign for Kilkileen Beach, there is an old forge closed in 1963. The Royal Fern can be seen in wetland beyond Kilkileen Cross, having passed a garage on the right of the road.

Take the second right then after a steep incline – there is a Gazebo in a field on the right, and it is believed that this structure was a ‘folly’ used by the Becher family as a viewing platform. The views of Roaring Water bay and Kilcoe Castle are spectacular along this road.

Take the next right to pass by the ruins of Aughadown House, home of the Becher family from the mid 1600’s to early 1900’s. Follow the way-marker To Corps Cross. At this point there is an option to walk to Aughadown Old Burial Ground where both Catholic and Protestants are buried. This is situated on a tidal inlet called Goleen Marsh on the Ilen River.

Many wading birds can be observed at low tide, especially the Curlew. Along the route Honeysuckle, Gorse and Fuchsia abound in the hedgerows.

Points of Interest:
• Old forge at Kilkileen Cross – closed in 1963
• Dolmen – to the left of Kilkileen Cross.
• Aughadown Creamery (open 6 days a week)
• Gazebo & Becher House.
• Ilen River
• Island Views
• Bird life.
• St Comghall’s Church – 1834,