Carlow Town Walk
- Смотреть карту
Taking the Carlow Town Heritage Trail is a great way of exploring the town, and finding out a little more about some of the sites, monuments and history along the way.
Starting at the Liberty Tree, at Potato Market, Carlow Town, view of the bronze sculpturer. This is a sculpture erected for the Bicentenary of the 1798 Rebellion. It was designed by John Behan who has skilfully created a fine memorial and an ambience round which people gather to relax. Continue along Kennedy Avenue.
Deighton Hall. Up untill the early 1830s this building functioned as the County Courthouse and seat of the Grand Jury. Walk westwards down Castle Hill. Carlow Castle may be seen from the lane. Continue along Kennedy Street to Carlow Castle. (Mill Lane) on the southside of Castle Hill.
Carlow Castle, now a ruin stands on the eastern bank of the River Barrow. It is thought to be have been built by William de Marshal, Earl of Pembroke and Lord of Leinster between 1207 and 1213. Originally the castle was a rectangular block. Continue westwards to the River Barrow.
The River Barrow is Ireland’s second longest river flowing for over 190km. Continue sraight through the traffic lights at Graiguecullen/Wellington Bridge.
St. Clare’s Roman Catholic Church and Poor Clare Monastery was originally built in 1852 as St. Anne’s Church of Ireland Church on the Athy Road in Carlow town.
Turn left at the traffic lights into Chapel Street. Turn right at the end of the street, into 98th Street. The Croppies grave is on the left hand side. This is a handsome monument rises above the site of an old sand pit where in the aftermath of the disastrous rising of the United Irishmen in 1798.
Carlow Town Park. A fine attraction for all the family, this 12.8 acre site on the banks of the River Barrow. Cross the Haymarket mara to St. Mary’s Church.
St. Mary’s Church of Ireland is located in the area of long standing religious importance. In the sixth centry St. Croneybeg had her religious cell located in this general area. This church dates from 1727, though the tower and spire, reaching 195 feet were added in 1834. Turn right at gate, left into Castle Hill and left into Dublin Street in the direction of the Courthouse.
The Assembly Rooms. In 1899 well known literary figure George Bernard Shaw inherited this property from his uncle, Walter Gurly. Continue straight on to the Courthouse from Dublin Street
Carlow Courthouse. Noted William Morrison designed this building in the late 1820s. It is one of Ireland’s finest examples of ancient Greek revivalist architecture. Walk south-east down College Street to St. Patrick’s College.
Carlow College and VISUAL Centre. Built before the French Revolution, Carlow College is one of Ireland’s oldest educational institutions.
Carlow Cathedral of the Assumption – located immediately beside St. Patrick’s College. he Cathedral, started in 1828 and completed in 1833, at a cost of £9,000.00.
Carlow County Museum and Tourist Information Office. Carlow County Museum displays artefacts representing a wide range of periods and topics. The museum premises has two temporary exhibition galleries.