Townley Hall Woods
- Смотреть карту
The woods form part of 60 acres of rolling parklands surrounding the magnificent Georgian mansion of Townley Hall.
Built in 1799, the house is not open to the public. However, Townley Hall Woods feature a pleasant walking trail which ushers visitors through an area steeped in history, while providing lovely views of the Boyne.
The Woods are close to the site of the Battle of the Boyne, which saw the Protestant King William III (also known as 'William of Orange’)and his father-in-law, Catholic King James II, fight for control of England, Scotland and Ireland (1st July 1690).
The trail takes visitors through ‘King William’s Glen’, where the ultimately victorious Williamite troops, all 36,000 of them, along with their hospital, stores, wagons and thousands of horses, set up camp and from where King William launched his surprise attack on the troops of his father in law.
The woodlands were planted around 150 to 200 years ago. Trees are mainly oak, beech, ash, sycamore, European silver fir and scots pine. Flora includes blackthorn, holly, hazel, elder, ground ivy, briar and several varieties of broadleaf woodland. The forest is home to red deer, red and grey squirrel, badger, rabbit, hare and fox. It is also a haven for resident and migratory birds.
Did you know? The visitor centre in nearby Oldbridge chronicles the epic battle.