- Смотреть карту
Saint Patrick’s Church was built in 1896, designed by J.F. Fuller, an authority on the Hiberno Romanesque style
In 1862, the London trained Fuller had answered an advertisement for a district architect under the Irish Ecclesiastical Commissioners. He was chosen from among 97 candidates. St. Patrick’s is one of his finest creations.
It incorporates a Medieval tower house to the west, which adds significant archaeological interest. The form is enhanced by the retention of many original features and materials, such as the well executed rock faced limestone and its cut stone dressings. The church has pointed arch window openings with carved limestone tracery, dressings and hood mouldings. There is a simple, timber battened entrance door and cut stone limestone gate piers set off by cast iron gates.
Inside, the stained glass windows by Heaton, Butler and Bayne add artistic interest. It is thought that the church came into existence when the first Royal Chieftain of Ireland to be baptised by St. Patrick made a gift to the missionary of the site: This was the first public administering of baptism, recognised by the then Irish royalty. It marked a significant advancement in Patrick’s progress.