- Bekijk op kaart
Swords Castle stands in the centre of North County Dublin since 1200 A.D. It was built by the first Norman Archbishop of Dublin, John Comyn, who succeeded St. Laurence O'Toole as Archbishop in 1180 A.D. Admission by appointment only.
Swords Castle was built as a summer palace for Archbishop Comyn. The Archbishop was also a Norman baron who had his own constable resident in the castle. The constable was empowered to hold court and even to pass the death sentence. For this purpose he had a gallows outside the town on the Brackenstown Road.
The castle was in ruin since 1324 A.D. and is currently being restored for the purposes of a heritage centre.
Admission by appointment only.