- Bekijk op kaart
Milford Mills was founded by the Alexander family in 1790 and was totally destroyed in a fire in 1862. It has recently been refurbished and stands beside the River Barrow in County Carlow.
The mills complex at Milford was built in 1790. They were also used for other purposes. The largest building (now completely gone) on the west bank of the Barrow ended its days as a tannery. It employed ninety people before it was destroyed by fire in July, 1965.
When the lights of Carlow Town were switched on on the 31th of July 1891 the Milford Mill hydroelectricity generation station enabled Carlow to become one of the first towns in Ireland and Britain to receive electric power. The station still contributes to the National Grid today.