Presently a Catholic church in Adare, County Limerick, Trinitarian Abbey was founded in 1230 by Geoffrey de Marisco as the order’s only Irish house. It was destroyed during the suppression of Henry VIII and was restored in the 19th century.
In 1464, Thomas, Earl of Kildare, and his wife founded a Franciscan friary in Adare, which is just a 20-minute drive from Limerick City. The ruin is well preserved and can be accessed through the Adare Manor Golf Club.
Found just 20km southwest of Limerick, the village of Adare has a rich ecclesiastical history. It once had three monasteries, the second of which was the Augustinian abbey, founded by John, Earl of Kildare, in 1315.