Passeggiate in città

Layd Church

Visualizza come mappa

Indirizzo

Indirizzo


Monument and coastal scenery

The walk is a coastal cliff path walk beginning at Shore Street, Cushendall at the entrance to the golf club and following the laneway northwards for approximately 200m before turning right onto the cliff path. Continue along the cliff path passing Salmon Rock and Port Vinegar taking you to the ruins of Layd Church a a 13th century Franciscan foundation. Chief burial place of the MacDonnell's after Bonamargy which has been built at least three times and served as a parish church from 1306 to the end of the 18th century. Fine stones in the graveyard include a cross in memory of Doctor James MacDonnell, pioneer in the use of chloroform for surgical operations. Open access all year round.

A 13th century Franciscan foundation. Chief burial place of the MacDonnell's after Bonamargy which has been built at least three times and served as a parish church from 1306 to the end of the 18th century. Fine stones in the graveyard include a cross in memory of Doctor James MacDonnell, pioneer in the use of chloroform for surgical operations. Open access all year round.