St Patrick's Churches Ballyclog For EHOD 2019
Sep 14 2019 - Sep 15 2019
- Voir la carte
Informations de contact
Visitors to Ballyclog will have an opportunity to tour both the old church and the new church
Baile an Chloig' or Ballyclog translates from Irish as the 'townland of the bell'. It is a very special place of spirituality and architectural richness in rural County Tyrone, linked to two bells, and with two churches.
The first bell is 'St Patrick's Bell' which is housed in the National Museum of Ireland in Dublin; it was kept in the local area by the Mulholland family for 400 years. The second bell is the 'Ballyclog Bell' which is a 1,000 year old handbell displayed in the Ulster Museum in Belfast and found at Ballyclog in 2016. The first church is the ruined old church, built in 1622, located in beautiful tranquility across the road from the current St Patrick's Church, which was built in 1865 and consecrated in 1868. Professor Alistair Rowan describes St Patrick's as 'a roguish little building by Welland & Gillespie, willfully adapting Irish architectural elements to jazzy ends...the interior is lavishly polychromatic.'
Visitors to Ballyclog will have an opportunity to tour both the old church and the new church, hear about the history of Ballyclog, see a replica of 'St Patrick's Bell', and ring the current bell housed in the round bell tower.
A guided walk will be held at 15:00 on Saturday and Sunday.