Dysert O'Dea Castle & Clare Archaeology Centre
- View as map
15th century "GAELIC" Tower House & Archaeology Centre 1480 AD, ruined by Cromwellians in 1651 & restored in 1986 contains 10 rooms on 4 stories with roof access. Artefacts from 1000 BC-1700 AD A/V and various exhibitions open May 1st-September 30th
The authentically restore castle - stronghold of the O'Dea Clan, houses the Clare Archaeology Centre, has been recipient of numerous national awards. Moderm history room 1700 AD-2000 AD Musem-Local Artefacts 1000 BC-700 AD, Audio-Visual presentation - local Archaeology & Roof Wall-Walk.
Pre history room contains one of the finest exhibits of an Iron Axe Head used by the Vikings.
Tea, Home Baking and Book Shop, Toilets and free parking for coaches & buses.
6km walking history trail and 25 famous monuments with 12CN High Cross & Romanesque Doorway.
The castle is located 400m off R476 on L4154 distance from Lahinch via R478 to Dysert O'Dea Castle - 30km (45mins)
Rath/Dysert Pilgrim Path Walks starting 1st Saturday of the month.