Churches and monasteries

Haggardstown Old Church and Graveyard

View as map

Contact details


Old Golf Link Road, Blackrock, Louth,

This ancient church and graveyard dates back to the 1700’s with intricately carved headstones which are almost 300 years old.

Saint Fursey, the patron saint of the parish Blackrock and Haggardstown, founded a monastery on the site of the church ruins in the ancient graveyard dating to circa 650AD.

The church was in use until 1620 and the earliest headstone in the graveyard dates to 1729. A 17th/18th century burial vault was discovered at the rear of the old church in 1977.

William Darcy, an Officer Commanding in the second floor of the GPO Dublin during the 1916 Rising, rests there.