- View as map
Coagh village is situated on a ford of Ballinderry River.
Coagh village is situated on a ford of Ballinderry River. The village was founded in 1720 by George Butler. The name derived from “an uiach” meaning the hollow as the village nestles among the gentle low lying land.
The main feature in the village is the impressive Hanover Square. It was named in honour of Hanoverian King George II. The five-arch bridge over the Ballinderry River still stands today and was planned by George Conyngham of Springhill.
Coagh is noted for its excellent fishing because at this point the mouth of the Ballinderry river meets Lough Neagh and therefore fishing on this stretch of the Ballinderry River is exceptionally good at Coach Bridge. The most significant standing stone is the Tamlaght stone, which can be easily viewed from the road side at the old rectory.