- View as map
Built in 1851 the two-walled promenade was a feature of Blackrock for over a century. Visitors come to enjoy a seated view of Dundalk Bay and the Cooley Mountains while eating locally made ice cream.
The sea wall was built in 1851. The two-walled promenade was a feature of Blackrock for over a century.
One wall fronted the strand, while the other faced the street. The wall rendered the main street much narrower than it is today.
In 1952, the inner wall was removed and the street widened in order to cater for the increasing number of motor cars coming into use.
The promenade wall was completely refurbished in 2001 by Blackrock Tidy Towns and Louth County Council under the Urban Village Renewal Programme. The project was funded by the Irish Government and part financed by the European Union under the National Development Plan. The wall is exceptional in both its proximity to the main beach and because of its in-built seat provides a beautiful free facility for all to avail.