Newtownards

164 of 192

Newtownards Priory For EHOD 2019

Date
Sep 14 2019
View as map

Contact details

Address

Court Street, Newtownards, County Down,
T: (028) 9082 3207
E: ehod@communities-ni.gov.uk

The only reasonably well-preserved medieval Dominican priory to survive in Northern Ireland.

The only reasonably well-preserved medieval Dominican priory to survive in Northern Ireland, founded in the mid 13th century.

The upper parts of the nave, its westward extension and the north aisle arcade date from a 14th century rebuild. The friary was suppressed in 1541 and burned in 1572 by Sir Brian O'Neill. Hugh Montgomery, 1st Viscount of Ards refurbished the church in the C17th, rebuilding the north aisle and installing the bell tower.