- View as map
Clonalis, Castlerea, Roscommon,
Clonalis House is the ancestral home of the O'Connors of Connacht. The family are descendants of the last of the High Kings of Ireland, and they themselves were the traditional kings of Connacht.
The present-day Clonalis dates back to 1878, but the expansive parkland which surrounds the house has been in the possession of the O'Connor family for over 1,500 years and regarded by many as a last remnant of the Kingdom of Connacht.
A late Victorian Italianate residence, Clonalis is widely regarded as one of the most historic of Ireland's great houses. The O'Connor family, as kings of Ireland and members of parliament for Roscommon, have played a pivotal role in Ireland's history, as early warrior kings and founders of castles and abbeys to the present family, who enjoy custodianship of a vast array of heirlooms, artifacts, and documents, including the coronation stone of the kings of Connacht and the harp of O'Carolan the Bard.