- Auf der Karte anzeigen
Situated around eight miles south of Omagh with a population of 1,523.
Situated around eight miles south of Omagh with a population of 1,523 the town of Fintona is the largest rural town in the district.
This area has known human habitation for around 4,000 years and there are numerous examples of burial places, standing stones, stone circles and graves in the area around the town. The O'Neills built a fortress here in the 15th century, but eventually the town passed in 1668 into the possession of the Eccles family. The town is strongly linked with the equestrian tradition and the Ecclesville Equestrian Centre provides a range of equestrian related sports.
Fintona also has many literary associations with poets Wilson Guy and John Montague originating from the area.