Newry Cathedral of St. Patrick and St. Colman
- Auf der Karte anzeigen
38 Hill Street, Newry, Down,
(028) 3026 2586
(028) 3026 7505
This is undoubtedly the most commanding building in Newry designed by Thomas Duff.
This is undoubtedly the most commanding building in Newry and is arguably the most important work executed by Newry's greatest native architect, Thomas Duff. Built in 1829 of local granite, it was the first Catholic Cathedral opened after the granting of Catholic Emancipation. The interior marble work and mosaics took five years with craftsmen coming from Italy to undertake the work. The tower and transept were added in 1888 whilst in 1904 the nave was extended.
Architect: Thomas Duff. 1825 foundation stone laid, opened in 1829; major interior decoration 1904-09, special ceremony in 1925 when all debts were paid. Sanctuary renovation by Felix Forte c.1990. Listed building.