- Auf der Karte anzeigen
Impressive 17th-century plantation castle, high above the Blackwater River.
Benburb Castle is dramatically sited on the cliff edge above the River Blackwater in the grounds of Benburb Servite Priory. It was built by Sir Richard Wingfield in around 1615, on or near the site of a stronghold of Shane O’Neill. The bawn walls enclose an irregular rectangular area, the walls standing almost to full height. At the north-east and north-west corners are rectangular towers, which are more like tall houses than defensive flankers. The north-west tower has been re-roofed and restored. At the south-east end of the castle is a circular tower with a stair down to a postern gate at the cliff edge. The 19th century house in the bawn is privately occupied and not accessible.
In the grounds of the Servite Priory.
Open by arrangement.